Michelle Phillips is a woman of many talents. As CSM Production’s senior accountant, she’s a whiz at financial forecasting, but did you know she can clog too? The Asheboro, North Carolina, native is a UNC Charlotte grad and earned her Master’s in Accountancy there as well.
In her role at CSM, Michelle works closely with CSM Production CFO Lisa Ward to develop monthly reports that determine financial targets for the future. This requires a good working relationship with project managers to track how a job is expected to perform financially as well as monitoring costs and identifying opportunities to save.
On a personal note, Michelle was married just eight weeks when she, with her husband Jon by her side, underwent open heart surgery for a congenital heart defect. The mom of four – four-year old Parker, 18-month-old Salem and labs, Penny and Copper – is doing well and now an advocate for the American Heart Association’s “Go Red for Women” campaign.
Q&A with Michelle
- What is the best career advice you ever received? My dad always told me, “You don’t find a good job, you make a good job.” It’s stuck with me and always proven to be true.
- What is the biggest myth about your job? That I am a math whiz. I can add and subtract really well, but that’s about it. My only C in college was in College Algebra!
- What’s your secret to success? Take notes. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Admit it when you make a mistake. Be organized. Listen more than you speak.
- What is the best part of working at CSM? Feeling valued. CSM Production has a culture that routinely recognizes loyalty, hard work and success. Its “People First” attitude is the real deal, and it’s unlike anything I’ve experienced with previous companies.
- What is your personal definition of success? To continually seek self-improvement – to be better today, than I was yesterday.
Things People May Not Know About Michelle
- My ultimate stress reliever is … An iced coffee from Starbucks and a trip to Target all by myself!
- My favorite sport is … Charlotte Football! Charlotte did not have a football program when I was a student, but right before I graduated it was voted on and approved (which was mostly the result of a student movement that I got to be a part of)! As a graduation gift, my family bought a group of seat licenses. Now we tailgate and attend most of the home games - Go Niners!
- My favorite quote is … “Yet, not I but the grace of God within me” 1 Corinthians 15:10
- No one knows that I can … Clog. I took lessons for several years when I was a kid.
- Anything else interesting people should know about you? I had open heart surgery in 2010 to correct a congenital heart defect. Jon and I had only been married 8 weeks – how about that for “in sickness and in health”! Now, I am a supporter of the American Heart Association and specifically their “Go Red for Women” campaign, which raises awareness about the reality of heart disease in women.